Freight News: Week of January 24th, 2024

Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd Form the “Gemini Cooperation”: A New Vessel Agreement

New Year, New Alliance? That’s what Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd say, though their new partnership is not set to begin until next year.

Starting February 2025, Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd will launch their new vessel agreement with a pool of about 290 vessels – which has the capacity to handle 3.4 million TEUs, per the Maritime-Executive. Maersk will be providing 60 percent of the capacity, while Hapag-Lloyd bringing up the remaining 40 percent.

This agreement will cover 7 trade lanes: Asia-North Europe, Asia-Mediterranean, Middle East & India – Europe, Asia – Middle East, Asia – U.S. East Coast, Asia – U.S. West Coast & trans-Atlantic.

According to Maersk’s announcement, a main focus of this partnership will be on reliability, hoping to deliver schedule reliability above 90 percent once the network is fully phased in service. Other focuses will be competitive transit times and the decarbonization of their fleets.


Cargo Plane Makes Emergency Landing at Miami Airport, Due to Engine Malfunction

A Boeing 747 cargo plane had to make an emergency landing at Miami Airport on January 18th, due to an engine malfunction.

Shortly after the plane took off (which was originally making it’s way to Luis Munoz Marin International Airport in Puerto Rico), an engine failure was reported, which resulted in the plane making a safe landing to Miami International Airport.

This incident went “viral” on X (formerly known as Twitter), with videos and images showing flames shooting out of the Boeing 747.

An inspection will be conducted to determine the cause. “The safety of the flying public, not speed, will determine the timeline for returning these aircraft to service,” the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement.

However, a preliminary examination showed a “softball sized hole above the #2 engine,” – early reports say.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *